Re: [Xen-devel] PVH backports to 4.9 and 4.8

On 01/23/2018 04:06 AM, Simon Gaiser wrote:
> George Dunlap:
>> Part of our solution to XSA-254 SP3 (aka "Meltdown") is to backport
>> the PVH mode from 4.10 to 4.9 and 4.8.  This will first allow people
>> able to run PVH kernels to switch their PV guests directly to PVH
>> guests; and second, eventually enable the backport of patches which
>> will enable transparent changing of PV guests into PVH guests.
>>
>> All of the hypervisor support seems to have existed already in 4.8, so
>> the only backports involve toolstack patches.
>>
>> I've put up two trees for a first-cut backport of the PVH
>> functionality, to 4.9 and 4.8 here:
>>
>> git://xenbits.xen.org/people/gdunlap/xen.git
>>
>> Branches out/pvh-backport/4.8/v1 and out/pvh-backport/4.9/v1
>>
>> Below are the patches backported from 4.10 to 4.9 (23 patches total):
> [...]
>
> So future 4.8 releases will include the backports, right? Asking because
> the AFAICS the 4.8.3-pre-shim-comet branch include them but staging-4.8
> does not.

Some of us have had informal conversations about backporting PVH and
Comet host/toolstack patches to 4.8, and a number of us think it's a
good idea, but we haven't had an official discussion with all the
stakeholders yet.  We'll come back to it once more of the fires have
been put out.

Feel free to remind us in a month or so if you still haven't seen any
patches in the stable-4.8 branch. :-)

 -George