Re: [Xen-devel] Excited for Xen Project in Outreachy

Hi Kanika,

I CC'ed two lists and the mentors of projects. Thank you for your interest in
the project.

> I seek guidance in choosing the suitable sub-project in Xen according to my
> skill set.
We have two sets of projects on
https://www.outreachy.org/communities/cfp/xen-project/
* 3 around Unikraft (mentor: Simon the technical side, I on the process/people
side). We are both based in UTC+1 - IRC is #unikraft
* 1 for Xen on ARM (mentors: Stefano & Edgar). Stefano is in UTC-8, Edgar is
UTC-7 or 6 (can't quite recall) - IRC is #xendevel

> I wish to begin my contribution as soon as possible. I request you to connect
> me to the mentors in case IRC is not the best way to get in touch with them.
Simon is unfortunately not around this week but will be next week.
Stefano and Edgar, are around I believe

For practical reasons:
* Please sign up to the minios-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (as appropriate)
   (see http://lists.xenproject.org for instructions: if you use the "subscribe
subject pattern" make sure you send the mail to
minios-devel-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ...)
* Please double check time requirements: This is because in the past there
frequently were issues with Outreachy and University course time requirements
in particular with Universities from India. I believe that there will be extra
checks later in the application process, which may require letters from your
University. We had one case, where an applicant did a small project, but we
were not allowed to accept her due to time requirements.
* Let us know timezone you are in and when you can hang out on IRC
* Your registered IRC nickname (please register your nick - see
https://www.xenproject.org/help/irc.html under Netiquette)

Note that my IRC nick is lars_kurth, Simon's is skuezer, Stefano's is
sstabellini, and I am afraid I can't remember Edgar's

If you are interested in Unikraft
* Build the hello world unikraft app: see
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Category:Unikraft & http://unikraft.neclab.eu/ ;
and report back
* Familiarize yourself with the workflow at
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Submitting_Xen_Project_Patches#How_to_Generate.2C_and_Submit_a_Xen_Project_Patch_to_MiniOS_and_Unikraft
 (please read the entire document)

For the ARM project, I will let Stefano and Edgar decide.

Regards
Lars

From: KANIKA SAINI <kanika16047@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, 14 February 2018 at 17:25
To: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Excited for Xen Project in Outreachy

Greetings, Lars.

I'm Kanika Saini and I'm super excited to begin contributing to Xen!

I seek guidance in choosing the suitable sub-project in Xen according to my
skill set. I'm currently pursuing a course in Operating Systems and hence, have
been gaining knowledge in kernel programming by short assignments like the
implementation of a system call. I'm familiar with assembly programming in
MIPS, ARM and x86 as well.
About high-level programming - I have experience with Java and have used it for
desktop applications and parallel programming.

There are certain projects listed on the project page and I'm looking for
mentors' suggestion on what could be the best for both me and Xen. I have
introduced myself on the #unikraft channel and I'm expecting a reply from the
community.

I wish to begin my contribution as soon as possible. I request you to connect
me to the mentors in case IRC is not the best way to get in touch with them.

Thank you!

--
Yours sincerely,
Kanika Saini