Re: [Xen-devel] Xen on POWER

On Fri, March 9, 2018 10:03 am, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 09/03/2018 09:37, awokd wrote:

> Xen currently has x86 and ARM as supported architectures, so there is a
> reasonable split between common and arch-specific code.  As a start, you'd
> need to implement enough of the arch stubs to make Power9 build, then work
> on trying to get it to boot.
>
> As a guess, the ARM port is going to be far closer to what you're
> looking to do than the x86 side.

Thanks for your reply, that helps. Would it make sense to target 4.8.3
stable to mostly avoid trying to hit a moving target, then port "up"? I'll
investigate how ARM support was added too, that's relatively fresh and
could be used as a model.

> Porting is one thing, but as you identify below, not  letting it wither
> is very different.  I can't predict how much ongoing maintenance would be
> required, but it certainly can't be left alone once "complete".

Assuming it would be a similar workload to maintaining ARM, any idea if
we're talking multiple FTEs here or just a fraction of one? Trying to get
a sense of if it's something that could be maintained in one person's
off-hours.

> There is certainly some interest in getting Power work, and the touted
> system benefits are clear to see, but porting Xen and maintaining the port
> is not going to be a trivial task.  If you are up for the challenge, then
> I think it would a great opportunity.

Don't expect it to be easy but it sounds like a fun challenge with
something of value at the end of the tunnel.