Re: [Xen-devel] X86 Community Call: Wed March 14, 15:00 - 16:00 UTC - Minutes

On 15/03/18 14:48, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 6:06 PM, Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ## Meeting format
>>
>> Andy: no suggestions to change
>> Lars: the only issue I noticed that we had people
>> Video conference: do this as needed (most conference services have
>> reasonably worming
>> html5)
>
> One thing I want to toss out there -- would people be willing to try
> having a meeting on IRC?
>
> From my perspective there were two fairly major problems:
> 1. Difficult to understand some people on the phone
> 2. People talking at the same time.
>
> It's possible #2 will get better, but with 20-something people on the
> call, and a fairly large delay, my prediction is that it's always
> going to be a problem.
>
> Advantages of IRC:
> - No "talking over" each other: two people can type at the same time,
> and it's naturally separated into different chunks
> - Easier to understand different accensts

- Easy to have a log of the meeting
- Easy to lookup what someone else "said" earlier (or even in a previous
  meeting)
- Followup discussions between only a few participants can be delayed to
  after the general discussion

> Disadvantages of IRC:
> - Have to type reasonably quickly
> - "Anything else?" questions have to wait a lot longer
>
> Another technical meeting I'm in we started with half phone, half IRC,
> but pretty quickly switched to IRC-only, because it was more
> convenient.

+1 for the idea.

Juergen