Re: [Xen-devel] What is the option 'e' used for in 'xl create' command

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018, Dongli Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is an 'e' option when running the following xl command:
>
> - xl create
> - xl restore
> - xl migrate
> - xl remus
>
> The 'e' option is used to "Do not wait in the background (on <host>) for the
> death of the domain". This option dates back to Dec 2009.
>
> Would you please help me understand the objective of the below patch
> introduced
> in Dec 2009?
>
> https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commit;h=de7c9106c1a22c0fd759cefcecf2c428e5a76a00
>
> Thank you very much for your help!

Hi Dongli,

The idea back then was that xl is a command line tool which doesn't rely
on any daemons running except for xenstored. However, there were a
couple of events that needed to be handled at runtime, naming domain
destruction and cdrom insert/eject for HVM guests. For that reason, xl
started forking and executing an instance of itself in the background,
just waiting to handle these events.

The "-e" command line option was meant to prevent xl from running any
background processes. This way, xl would just terminate after executing
the requested command. Of course, in that case one would have to
manually destroy the domains and cdrom insert/eject might not work, but
everything else should work as usual.

Cheers,

Stefano