Re: [Xen-devel] Sunseting mercurial

On 3/26/18 5:35 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Its been officially 5+ years since Xen has moved to git so I propose we
>> start thinking about when to retire the mercurial mirrors. At this point
>> the last stable version to be tracked in mercurial is 4.4 which is long
>> out of any form of support. I know some vendors still have support for
>> versions of Xen down to 4.1 but let's be realistic, there's not a flurry
>> of development happening in those old versions. The mercurial mirror is
>> often out of date (I know someone that's tried to use it) and in fact as
>> of this email its several weeks out of date.
>>
>> So maybe its time we start thinking about sunsetting the mercurial
>> mirrors and use those resources for more practical uses.
>
> This was brought up before, and I continue to agree _as long_ as
> our web representation of the tree gains something similar to
> hg's "annotate" functionality. Without that I find it quite hard to
> locate commits most recently changing a line or an area of code.
> Of course aiui this can be done from the command line, but only if
> one happens to have a repo on the particular machine (which for
> example I don't have or intend to have at home).

While I agree that gitweb should be changed to support showing that,
there exist a few options out there as well that work today.

https://gitlab.com/xen-project/xen/blame/staging/xen/common/Makefile
https://github.com/xen-project/xen/blame/staging/xen/common/Makefile

Browse to any file and click the Blame button or remember the URL and go
to it manually or here's a 10 second script.

#!/bin/bash -e

url="http://gitlab.com/xen-project/xen/blame";
thefile=$(readlink -f $1)
repo=$(git rev-parse --show-toplevel)
relfile=${thefile##${repo}}
branch=$(git rev-parse --abbrev-ref HEAD)
xdg-open "${url}/${branch}${relfile}"

--
Doug Goldstein