Re: [Xen-devel] Upping gcc requirement for x86

On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 06:14:08PM +0100, George Dunlap wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 6:10 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> RHEL / CentOS 6 are still supported, and they come with GCC 4.4.
> >
> > Where is this listed in xen.git? Supported in what sense?
>
> Sorry, I realized this was ambiguous just a minute ago.  I meant,
> they're not EOL yet -- the distributions are still "active" as it
> were.  (As opposed to, say, RHEL / CentOS 5, which is EOL.)
>
> I think it makes sense for us as a project to try to support
> distributions which are still being given active support.

Right. I think that makes sense, but does it actually work like that in
practice?

Existing Xen packages aren't really going to get a newer Xen, so that's
out of the picture.

What we try to achieve here is to let the users of these old distro able
to build newer Xen themselves. But suppose you want to build a new
system anyway, why stick with an old distro? Why not use a newer distro
release instead?

Wei.