Re: [Xen-devel] Upping gcc requirement for x86

On Fri, Mar 30, 2018 at 02:35:14AM -0600, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 4:45 PM, Wei Liu <wei.liu2@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Seabios has bumped their requirement to 4.6 (released 7 years ago). We
> >> either need to bump our too or have a separate entry for seabios.
> >
> >RHEL / CentOS 6 are still supported, and they come with GCC 4.4.
> >
> >Other potential options:
> >
> >1. Have configure disable seabios if the gcc version is too old
> >2. Have configure change to an older seabios release if gcc is too old
> >3. Downgrade the seabios tag / changeset to a version that builds with
> >older gcc versions
>
> 4. Fix the build issue in a commit in our private clone of the tree. It looked
> as if it would be one of those unnamed structure initialization issues, so
> shouldn't be very difficult to address. That's what I'd likely do locally
> anyway
> as long as it's not terribly widespread, to save myself having to
> build/install
> newer gcc on those older systems (it's intentional that I don't build
> centrally
> and then only distribute the binaries, mainly but not only to have this very
> build coverage with older tool chains).

Yes, it is trivial to fix in our own tree, and I suppose that's what
distro packagers will do when they see the same issue. But that means we
will deviate from upstream. I would like to avoid that whenever
possible.

If we don't end up bumping gcc requirement I will just disable seabios
instead.

Wei.