Re: [Xen-devel] Patches for stable

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 2:12 PM, Juergen Gross <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 06/04/18 13:13, George Dunlap wrote:

>>> Can you give me a hint where this would be? The elfnote is being fed
>>> into elf_dom_parms->guest_ver. I couldn't find any reference to that
>>> other than setting it.
>>>
>>> The other reference I could find is the readnotes utility. In the Xen
>>> tree I couldn't find any tool using the output of that.

>>> You are aware of the fact I'm speaking of a Xen-specific elfnote?
>>
>> No I wasn't.
>>
>> FWIW I think taking "I have set the kernel version correctly" to mean
>> "I know to read the address of the RSDP table from the start_info
>> page" isn't a very good idea.  For one, it's fragile: someone may not
>> realize that the one implies the other.  Secondly, it may turn out
>> that there's a reason it's been kept at "2.6", and then we'd have to
>> revert the one change and make a new elfnote anyway.
>
> Hmm, good point.
>
> So its time for a new XENFEAT_ value then? This would be the least
> intrusive way to add such a flag. Something like
> XENFEAT_linux_high_rsdp_address_okay ?

That sounds reasonable to me.  I'd personally make it something like
"reads_rsdp_from_start_info" or something, but the name doesn't matter
to me as much. :-)

The other option would be to introduce a "max_pvh_interface_supported"
or something.  If it's not present (and it's a Linux kernel), default
it to '0', and have that mean "RSDP must be under 1MiB".

That will allow us elbow-room in the future if we want to make other
breaking changes like this, without needing to keep a separate flag
around for each one indefinitely.

 -George