Re: [Xen-devel] Resume from suspend to RAM broken when using early microcode updates

>>> On 11.04.18 at 17:05, <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 11/04/18 15:49, Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk wrote:

>>> Judging by what is going on, it wants to be between tboot_s3_error() and
>>> the done label.
>>>
>>> We only need to restore microcode if we successfully went into S3.  The
>>> done and enable_cpu labels are only used by paths which don't need to
>>> restore microcode.
>>>
>>> OTOH, you should check the return value and panic if restoration
>>> failed.  As you've seen, the system won't survive trying to blindly
>>> continue resuming.

>>> In hindsight, I am.  We take a #GP fault because of a bad MSR, and at
>>> the head of the exception handler try to use the same bad MSR.  It will
>>> repeatedly fault until hitting a guard page (or other read-only page),
>>> at which point we take a double fault, and suffer a #GP yet again.
>>> Taking a #DF will reset the stack to a moderately sane value, and the
>>> system will livelock taking faults.
>>>
>>> This is an unfortunate consequence of having $MAGIC in the exception
>>> handlers.
>> We can just disable IBRS before going to sleep?
>
> The problem is the use of MSR_SPEC_CTRL/MSR_PRED_CMD before we've
> reloaded the microcode which causes those MSRs to magic themselves into
> existence.

Well, Konrad certainly has a point: Just like we could make
SPEC_CTRL_ENTRY_FROM_INTR_IST skip the WRMSR by clearing
BTI_IST_WRMSR, we could add a conditional branch to
DO_SPEC_CTRL_ENTRY's maybexen case. The former would also
allow to deal with an early (after resume) NMI or #MC.

Jan