Re: [Xen-devel] Should PV frontend drivers trust the backends?

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:47:09 +0000
Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

I can see how this is analogous, but it's not identical. Traditionally,
hardware has full control of the system anyway, so it makes little
sense to distrust it. It does make sense to validate the data and retry
an invalid operation (if possible) or crash the system (if technically
impossible).

However, a backend driver runs in a domain that is not much different
from the domain running the frontend driver, so it is theoretically
possible to implement some support in Xen itself. Now, if you're asking
whether Xen _should_ add complex handling of resilient domain-to-domain
communication, that's purely a matter of taste.

FWIW my vote is: Do nothing. Keep Xen architecture simple.

Petr T