[Xen-devel] where can I find the 'address translation' code in Xen?

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Minjun Hong <nickeysgo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 19:11:30 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 29 Apr 2018 10:11:45 +0000

Hi.
I'm looking for a point where address translation (guest virtual address to machine address) occurs in Xen.
Of course, I mean when TLB miss has occured.
I'm using a PV guest and I've found 'guest_walk_tables()' function in "xen/arch/x86/mm/guest_walk.c".
However, in the comment of the function, it says "Walk the guest pagetables, after the manner of a hardware walker".
I'm confused because I'm not sure if the function is called after the 'hardware page table walker'.

My question is,

1. Is it sure that the function will be called even though the HW already translates the address and populates the TLB entry?

2. I'm just asking, is there any code in Xen that is related to the behavior of the 'hardware walker'?

Thanks for your reading.