Re: [Xen-devel] strange behavior with Multiboot2 on EFI

Adding Daniel Kiper.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2018 at 02:09:45AM +0300, Kristaps Čivkulis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am implementing Multiboot2 support for FreeBSD loader to load Xen
> kernel. Currently I pass EFI 64-bit system table pointer tag, EFI boot
> services not terminated tag, EFI 64-bit image handle pointer tag and
> Image load base physical address tag.
>
> The problem is, Xen kernel gets stuck into infinite loop at address
> near 0x7fa419be without printing anything. System table is at
> 0x7fbee018 and image handle is at 0x7f22fd98. If I debugged correctly,
> it got into infinite loop after first time calling void
> efi_console_set_mode(void) [0] because it didn't return from it.
>
> Note that if I don't pass EFI 64-bit system table pointer tag, boot
> services not terminated tag or 64-bit image handle pointer tag then
> Xen kernel correctly prints error message!
>
> Is this behavior intended? If not, where could be a problem?
>
> I compiled Xen kernel on FreeBSD with this command:
>
> # gmake -j4 xen clang=y LD=/usr/local/bin/ld CC="cc -B/usr/local/bin" \
>   NM=/usr/local/bin/nm
>
> and I test with this command:
>
> $ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2048 -bios OVMF-pure-efi.fd -hda test_disk.img
>
> OVMF-pure-efi.fd is taken from
> edk2.git-ovmf-x64-0-20180612.155.g5a56c04939.noarch.rpm at [1]

Daniel, ISTR that you used QEMU + OVMF in order to develop multiboot2
support for Xen, do you happen to know if a specific OVMF or QEMU
version is needed to get this working?

Kristaps is trying to get Xen/EFI to boot using OVMF and multiboot2,
but that doesn't seem to work (at least with the versions he is
testing with).

Thanks, Roger.