Re: [Xen-devel] Is there a faster way to restore Virtual machine status in Xen?

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 2:26 AM, Chenjia (C) <chenjia09@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear XEN expert:
>
>             We meet some problem in our project: In our previous project, we
> use KVM, and we do some job like this:
>

> We create KVM snapshot by “virsh snapshot-create $DomainName $SnapshotXml”,
> then do following job:
>
> While(1)
>
> {
>
> Run “virsh snapshot-revert $DomainName  $Snapshot --running --force”
>
> Do some job in 30 secends
>
> }
>

>             Now our project is move to Xen, so we need to do same thing like
> in KVM, but we found that there is no “Snapshot” in xen , so we change the
> job like this in xen:
>
>             While(1)
>
> {
>
>                         Run “xl destroy win7_checkpointFile”
>
>                         Run “xl restore  win7_checkpointFile”
>
>                         Do some job in 30 secends
>
> }
>

>             We found that” xl destroy “and “xl restore” spend 10 times
> longer than “virsh snapshot-revert”,  it is unacceptable in our project
>

>             So our question is that: Is there a faster way to restore
> Virtual machine status in Xen?

Internally Xen has the copy-on-write functionality needed to implement
faster snapshots; but we don't have the tooling yet.  If you're keen
enough you could implement it -- but if you don't have the time /
effort to do that I'm afraid you're out of luck.

 -George