Re: [Xen-devel] xen + i40e: transmit queue timeout

On Fri, 06 Jul 2018 14:03:00 +0200, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am currently researching a transmit queue timeout with Xen 4.8.2 and
Intel X722 (i40e driver). The problem occurs with various linux versions
(4.8.17, 4.13.16, SLES 15 port of i40e). The problem seems to be related
to heavy forwarding/bridging as I am running a heavy network stress test
in a domU (linux/pvm 4.13.16). It seems that if I run the same test
without Xen, it works (not sure).
The log fragment below of course tells about nothing on why this
is happening. Couple of questions therefore:

Thanks for suggesting helpful further steps.

- Are interrupts still arriving for this device at the point of the
  reported timeout?
- Are interrupts distributed reasonably evenly between (v)CPUs?
- Is the overall interrupt rate not higher than what the system
  can reasonably handle (the lower handling overhead means
  without Xen a higher rate would still be acceptable)?
- Is the same heavy forwarding/bridging in effect when trying this
  without Xen?
- Does running the same stress test in Dom0 work?
I take it that there are no other relevant messages in any of the
logs, or else you would have provided them right away.

Actually, it seems that the driver is the problem which it quite counterintuitive because the driver is quite old (started in 2013) and you would expect it to be very mature.

For a test I used the 2.4.10 version from https://sourceforge.net/projects/e1000/files/i40e%20stable/ and all the problems went away. I am writing this here so that others with the same problem have a possible solution to try.

Regards Andreas