[Xen-devel] automation: Creating a patchwork instance to improve pre-commit build testing

Hi all,

Wei and Doug have recently been improving [xen.git] / automation / build,
implementing some of the functionality outlined in [1] (see "CI / CD" heading).

We are intending to take every patch series that is sent to xen-devel and
create a branch at https://gitlab.com/xen-project/xen.git scoped to something
like "ml/<msg-id>". ml stands for mailing list. The goal is to run whatever
basic CI tests we can to help reviewers and contributors. Wei and Doug have
gotten things to the point where we can compile against a number of distros and
they continue to expand that functionality.

What is missing, is the capability to take patch series from the mailing list
and use the posted patches to trigger the CI/CD functionality. We are planning
to use Patchwork because it provides functionality to allow us to do this via
the Patchwork API (https://patchwork.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/rest/)
Originally Doug suggested he could just try this via one of his own VMs, but
the recent introduction of the GDPR creates risks and obligations for everyone
(both individuals and companies) who processes Xen Project related mailing list
data (including git meta-data). To avoid this, we were planning to run
patchwork on a new Xen Project hosted VM, for the sole purpose of using the
Patchwork API.

At this stage, we are not intending to expose the patchwork UI.

# How does this impact me?
The contribution workflow is *not* impacted by this change, but once up and
running the following will happen once you post a patch or patch series to
xen-devel:
* Patchwork will take patch series from the mailing list and applies it
* CI/DC testing is triggered
* A test report will be sent as a mail to the patch or the series (aka the 00
patch of the series)

This does mean though that series which do not build or show other issues, will
likely not be reviewed until the tests pass. This would lessen the burden on
reviewers, as they will know whether the code submitted builds on a wide array
of environments.

# Supported build environments (for now)
For now, we are only supporting this on x86. The exact list of distros we build
against can be found in [xen.git] / automation / build
Arm support will be added later, once the missing pieces are in place (see [1]
section "What OSs (architectures) should we support?")

# What about checkpatch.pl?
Once clang-format changes have been completed, Wei and Doug are going to look
at automating code style checks as well. Iurii Artemenko is working on
clang-format improvements that will allow us to work around the issues outlined
in [2]. There are still 3 missing pieces (see [3]).

I don't think this is a controversial proposal, but I wanted to ask whether
there are any objections or suggestions. I included the minios-devel list, as
the Unikraft project is planning to introduce patchwork into their workflow.

Best Regards
Lars