Re: [Xen-devel] PVH dom0 creation fails - the system freezes

>>> On 23.07.18 at 13:50, <bercarug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For the last few days, I have been trying to get a PVH dom0 running,
> however I encountered the following problem: the system seems to
> freeze after the hypervisor boots, the screen goes black. I have tried to
> debug it via a serial console (using Minicom) and managed to get some
> more Xen output, after the screen turns black.
>
> I mention that I have tried to boot the PVH dom0 using different kernel
> images (from 4.9.0 to 4.18-rc3), different Xen  versions (4.10, 4.11, 4.12).
>
> Below I attached my system / hypervisor configuration, as well as the
> output captured through the serial console, corresponding to the latest
> versions for Xen and the Linux Kernel (Xen staging and Kernel from the
> xen/tip tree).
> [...]
> (XEN) [VT-D]iommu.c:919: iommu_fault_status: Fault Overflow
> (XEN) [VT-D]iommu.c:921: iommu_fault_status: Primary Pending Fault
> (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR:[DMA Write] Request device [0000:00:14.0] fault addr
> 8deb3000, iommu reg = ffff82c00021b000
> (XEN) [VT-D]DMAR: reason 05 - PTE Write access is not set
> (XEN) print_vtd_entries: iommu #0 dev 0000:00:14.0 gmfn 8deb3
> (XEN) root_entry[00] = 1021c60001
> (XEN) context[a0] = 2_1021d6d001
> (XEN) l4[000] = 9c00001021d6c107
> (XEN) l3[002] = 9c00001021d3e107
> (XEN) l2[06f] = 9c000010218c0107
> (XEN) l1[0b3] = 8000000000000000
> (XEN) l1[0b3] not present
> (XEN) Dom0 callback via changed to Direct Vector 0xf3

This might be a hint at a missing RMRR entry in the ACPI tables, as
we've seen to be the case for a number of systems (I dare to guess
that 0000:00:14.0 is a USB controller, perhaps one with a keyboard
and/or mouse connected). You may want to play with the respective
command line option ("rmrr="). Note that "iommu_inclusive_mapping"
as you're using it does not have any meaning for PVH (see
intel_iommu_hwdom_init()).

Jan