Re: [Xen-devel] tools/fuzz fails due build, osstest did not notice

>>> On 03.09.18 at 11:53, <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Since about two months staging fails to build because tools/fuzz can not cope
> with CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall  -fstack-protector-strong -funwind-tables
> -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -fstack-clash-protection". While I can easily
> hide the bug by undefining _FORTIFY_SOURCE, I always wonder why osstest does
> not catch such bugs?
>
> Looking at some random build-amd64/6.ts-xen-build.log output, it seems no
> CFLAGS at all is set. I'm sure SUSE is not the only one that sets CFLAGS
> during their package build, and further I think SUSE is not the only one who
> enforces -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE= globally. So on that ground, shouldn't whatever
> osstest does match what the consumers of xen use? Running osstest with
> throw-away-binaries compiled with -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE will likely not hurt or
> invalidate the overall coverage.

Leaving aside the suggestion you make (I'm unconvinced either variant is
strictly better than the other) - what is the actual problem? The mere
listing of compiler flags passed does not make clear to me where the clash
is, or how it would surface.

Jan