Re: [Xen-devel] stale hypervisor info in HVM after migration

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 10:29:07AM +0200, Olaf Hering wrote:
> During boot of a HVM domU, the running hypervisor ist recorded in DMI and
> dmesg:
>
> crash> dmesg | grep -m1 Xen
> [    0.000000] DMI: Xen HVM domU, BIOS 4.7.2_02-36.1.1284 08/28/2017
>
> But after migration to another host, that info is not updated.
> Is there a chance to update that info in the kernels "resume" path?
> It would probably be ok to just do a printk in case DMI is a static string.

There's no way to change what's printed in dmesg, and printing it
again on resume from migration seems unhelpful to me. Instead of
grepping dmesg to get the DMI information you should use dmidecode [0]
which I expect will print the updated information after migration.

Roger.

[0] https://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/