Re: [Xen-devel] Fix VGA logdirty related display freezes with altp2m

On 10/25/18 5:55 PM, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 8:24 AM Razvan Cojocaru
> <rcojocaru@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On 10/24/18 8:52 PM, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:

>>> What I see from the DRAKVUF log is that the last thing it prints is
>>> sending a vm_event response that both enables singlestepping and
>>> switches altp2m view. This looks to be consistent. It didn't matter if
>>> the guest had 1 or 2 vCPUs, the freeze occurs just the same. It's
>>> definitely racey because it doesn't happen right away, the system
>>> works as expected for a couple seconds.
>>
>> After having to install clang because my GCC couldn't build Drakvuf:
>>
>> ../../src/plugins/plugins.h:188:1: sorry, unimplemented: non-trivial
>> designated initializers not supported
>
> Please follow the instruction for compiling it, clang is a
> requirement. I don't even know how you got pass the ./configure stage
> without clang being installed. You could also just copy-paste things
> from the travis script directly:
> https://github.com/tklengyel/drakvuf/blob/master/.travis.yml#L51
>

>> then rekall via pip, then having to mount my Windows disk to do "rekal
>> peinfo", I finally gave up when "rekall fetch_pdb" couldn't find the
>> debug files on the Microsoft server. :)
>
> If your version if Windows is that brand new then yes, Microsoft takes
> a couple days to publish their debug information and you will just
> have to wait or use an older version of Windows.
>

>> So if you could find a way to reproduce the issue with a simple
>> libxc-based application alone (or at least with something
>> libvmi-related, which I do have set up), I'd really appreciate it.
>>
>> Or maybe try to hack around with patch no 3 of the series (for a start,
>> just revert it and see if the problem persists - of course the display
>> will freeze) and see if there's an easy fix?
>
> Unfortunately I won't have time to do either of these any time soon.
> If you are having that much trouble setting it up I can perhaps send
> you a pre-compiled version with a version of Windows for which
> Microsoft already published the debug info for.

It's a Windows 7 x64 guest. But the problem was that the right command
line is:

rekall fetch_pdb ntkrnlmp

instead of the suggested "rekall fetch_pdb ntkrpamp" on the drakvuf.com
website.

I'll try to continue - in any case should I have more trouble I'll
contact you privately so as not to spam the list. Just wanted to leave
this here in case someone else has this problem in the hope that it's
useful.

Thanks,
Razvan