Re: [Xen-devel] Ongoing/future speculative mitigation work

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:43 AM Andrew Cooper
<andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 25/10/18 18:35, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 11:02 AM George Dunlap <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:

> >> As another data point, I think it was MSCI who said they always disabled
> >> hyperthreading, because they also found that their workloads ran slower
> >> with HT than without.  Presumably they were doing massive number
> >> crunching, such that each thread was waiting on the ALU a significant
> >> portion of the time anyway; at which point the superscalar scheduling
> >> and/or reduction in cache efficiency would have brought performance from
> >> "no benefit" down to "negative benefit".
> >>
> > Thanks for the insights. Indeed, we are primarily concerned with
> > performance of Qubes-style workloads which may range from
> > no-oversubscription to heavily oversubscribed. It's not a workload we
> > can predict or optimize before-hand, so we are looking for a default
> > that would be 1) safe and 2) performant in the most general case
> > possible.
>
> So long as you've got the XSA-273 patches, you should be able to park
> and re-reactivate hyperthreads using `xen-hptool cpu-{online,offline} $CPU`.
>
> You should be able to effectively change hyperthreading configuration at
> runtime.  It's not quite the same as changing it in the BIOS, but from a
> competition of pipeline resources, it should be good enough.

Thanks, indeed that is a handy tool to have. We often can't disable
hyperthreading in the BIOS anyway because most BIOS' don't allow you
to do that when TXT is used. That said, with this tool we still
require some way to determine when to do parking/reactivation of
hyperthreads. We could certainly park hyperthreads when we see the
system is being oversubscribed in terms of number of vCPUs being
active, but for real optimization we would have to understand the
workloads running within the VMs if I understand correctly?

Tamas