Re: [Xen-devel] [Qemu-devel] xen_disk qdevification

Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, Nov 02, Kevin Wolf wrote:
>
>> A while ago, a downstream patch review found out that there are some QMP
>> commands that would immediately crash if a xen_disk device were present
>> because of the lacking qdevification. This is not the code quality
>> standard I envision for QEMU. It's time for non-qdev devices to go.
>
> Do you have that backwards by any chance? IMO the presence of assert()
> contributes to bad code quality, not the drivers that trigger those
> asserts. It is bad enough that two QEMU releases went out while being in
> bad shape.

Converting block devices to the qdev infrastructure (introduced in 2009)
has been a longwinded affair.  We've repeatedly reminded people in
charge of the stragglers to update their code.

Neglecting to update code to current infrastructure creates a burden and
a risk.  The burden is on the maintainers of the infrastructure: they
get to drag along outmoded infrastructure.  The risk is on the users of
the code: it becomes a special case, and eventually acquires its special
bugs.

Putting the blame for them entirely on the maintainers of the
infrastructure is not fair.

> Anyway, hopefully Paul or whoever will find the time and energy to
> convert the code at some point.

Yes, Paul's taking care of it.  Much appreciated.