Re: [Xen-devel] RT Xen on ARM - R-Car series

Hello Jairo,

From: LOPEZ, FUENTES NACARINO Jairo Eduardo <jairo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, December 22, 2018 3:55 AM
To: Andrii Anisov; Iurii Artemenko
Subject: RT Xen on ARM - R-Car series

> My name is Jairo Lopez.

> I am currently working as a doctorate student at Waseda University in the
> area of distributed systems.

> We have previously used the R-Car M3 Starter Kit Pro and R-Car H3 Starter Kit
> Premier
> (https://www.renesas.com/us/en/solutions/automotive/adas/solution-kits/r-car-starter-kit.html)
>  for some
> demos and were interested in using them to test Xen on these machines. Since
> we are looking at
> real-time distributed systems, your work on real-time for Xen greatly
> interests me.

Thank you for your interest in XEN and RT in XEN. I hope you'll have great
progress in your work and enrich XEN hypervisor with your findings.

> I have attempted to use the Salvator-X guidelines
> (https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/Salvator-X)
>  on
> the Xen Wiki to try to test Xen on the above mentioned machines

What SoC revisions do you have on your boards? Keep in mind this [1], although
it should not be a problem for you yet.

> and although the build succeeds

I hope you built x3ulcb targets instead of salvator-x. BTW, the BSP mentioned
in the wiki is pretty old. Me currently using 3.9. But it should not be a big
problem on this stage.

> I am left with a wonderful empty screen.
And what do you see in a console? Any logs?

> It is currently possible to boot Xen on the R-Car M3 or R-Car H3?
Yes, sure. Our team constantly work with R-Car Gen3 based boards.
Unfortunately, Renesas BSP still needs some adjustments to get XEN built and
run with it.

> If my laboratory is keen on getting Xen working on these machines, how could
> we go on about doing this?
Carefully follow instructions. Provide detailed descriptions of your steps and
results (build/boot logs) in case something went wrong on your site.

ps. You know, XEN is an open-source project, it's better to ask questions
through the mailing list [2]. You might have more answers hints and opinions
from the community. I've copied this email to the list for you.

[1] https://elinux.org/R-Car/Boards/Yocto-Gen3#Known_issues_and_limitations

ANDRII ANISOV