Re: [Xen-devel] Enhancing Xen's Kconfig infrastructure to support tailored solutions

> On 18 Feb 2019, at 12:01, Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Do we know for sure that CLOC counts everything in a file or does it honour
>>> the pre-processor settings?
>> We certainly don't feed any preprocessor defines to it. I doubt it
>> understand C to that level of details anyway.
>
> LoC isn't a fantastic metric under any circumstance.
>
> Bigger code is definitely better, if the reason it is bigger is because
> it is because it is formatted for readability/clarity etc.

I don't disagree. A measure such as Logical Lines Of Code may be more
appropriate longer term, as it removes the formatting/readability aspect.

> Attempting to optimise for smaller LoC, other than making entire
> functional areas optional, is usually short sighted.

Agreed.

We are basically using the SLOC figure as a proxy for "potential cost of safety
certification" at least for Arm
I was hoping the results were clearer and I could use the figures to illustrate
the impact of a PV or HVM only build to illustrate the safety impact, but maybe
I should stay clear of this.

Regards
Lars