Re: [Xen-devel] Altp2m use with PML can deadlock Xen

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 8:59 AM Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/05/2019 15:53, Razvan Cojocaru wrote:
> > On 5/10/19 5:42 PM, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:

> >> Makes sense.

> >> Is that already in staging or your x86-next branch? I would like to
> >> verify that the problem is still present or not with that change. I
> >> tested with Xen 4.12 release and that definitely still deadlocks.
> >
> > I don't know if Andrew is talking about this patch (probably not, but
> > it looks at least related):
> >
> > http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commitdiff;h=24d5282527f4647907b3572820b5335c15cd0356;hp=29d28b29190ba09d53ae7e475108def84e16e363
> >

> I was referring to 29d28b2919 which is also in 4.12 as it turns out.
> That said, 24d5282527 might in practice be the cause of the deadlock, so
> I'd first experiment with taking that fix out.
>
> I know for certain that it won't be tested with PML enabled, because the
> use of PML is incompatible with write-protecting guest pagetables.

Sounds like it's the safe bet to just have PML be disabled for when
introspection is used. I would say it would be even better if the use
of PML could be controlled on a per-guest base instead of the current
global on/off switch. That way it could be disabled only for the
introspected domains.

I'll do some more experimentation when I get some free time but two
observations that speak against the vCPUs trying to pause each other
being the culprit is that:
- the deadlock doesn't happen with xen-access' altp2m use, it only
happens when there are remapped gfn's in the altp2m views
- I've added a domain_pause/unpause to the PML flusher before it
enters the flush loop but I still got a deadlock

Tamas