Re: [Xen-devel] [qemu-upstream-4.11-testing test] 136184: regressions - FAIL

>>> On 03.06.19 at 19:15, <anthony.perard@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, May 21, 2019 at 05:52:12PM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
>> The same error cannot be reproduced on laxton*. Looking at the test history,
>> it looks like qemu-upstream-4.12-testing flight has run successfully a few
>> times on rochester*. So we may have fixed the error in Xen 4.12.
>>
>> Potential candidates would be:
>>    - 00c96d7742 "xen/arm: mm: Set-up page permission for Xen mappings
>> earlier on"
>>    - f60658c6ae "xen/arm: Stop relocating Xen"
>>
>> Ian, is it something the bisector could automatically look at?
>> If not, I will need to find some time and borrow the board to bisect the
>> issues.
>
> I attempted to do that bisection myself, and the first commit that git
> wanted to try, a common commit to both branches, boots just fine.

Thanks for doing this!

One thing that, for now, completely escapes me: How come the
main 4.11 branch has progressed fine, but the qemuu one has
got stalled like this?

> It turns out that the first commit that fails to boot on rochester is
>   e202feb713 xen/cmdline: Fix buggy strncmp(s, LITERAL, ss - s) construct
> (even with the "eb8acba82a xen: Fix backport of .." applied)

Now that's particularly odd a regression candidate. It doesn't
touch any Arm code at all (nor does the fixup commit). And the
common code changes don't look "risky" either; the one thing that
jumps out as the most likely of all the unlikely candidates would
seem to be the xen/common/efi/boot.c change, but if there was
a problem there then the EFI boot on Arm would be latently
broken in other ways as well. Plus, of course, you say that the
same change is no problem on 4.12.

Of course the commit itself could be further "bisected" - all
changes other than the introduction of cmdline_strcmp() are
completely independent of one another.

Jan