Re: [Xen-devel] Migrating key developer docs to xen.git sphinx docs and refreshing them in the process

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019, Lars Kurth wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since Andy created https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/sphinx-unstable/ and
> https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/sphinx-unstable-staging/ (sources in
> docs/hypervisor-guide, docs/guest-guide, docs/admin-guide) I was wondering
> whether it would not make sense to migrate some key documents in the wiki
> (and possible some docs elsewhere in the tree) into the new structure and
> refresh and update the documentation in the process. I am volunteering to do
> some of the leg-work.
>
> I started looking into what some other projects do and the following seem to
> be sensible and lightweight examples of Information Architecture to structure
> the content:
> * https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/developers.html
> *
> https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/contributors/devel/README.md
>
> Both are fairly lightweight and seem to be sensible guides. But before we get
> to that level of detail, I thought it makes sense to look at what we have and
> candidates for moving/improving/creation. However, it is clear that we need
> two broad categories under docs/hypervisor-guide (Hypervisor developer
> documentation): note that I don’t much care about the actual labels
> * The process of developing and contributing code
> * Setting up your dev environment, coding, and debugging
>
> Documentation which may be worth moving or creating
>
> Text files in tree (which are close to RST file format)
> * Xen.git:CONTRIBUTING – it seems to me that this is a candidate for moving
> (with a note in the original file which outlines where to look for the
> source/rendered output) – Even committers occasionally don’t seem to be aware
> of some of the licensing related common practices we have. Giving some of
> that content a more prominent place in a new more user friendly and modern
> looking docset seems sensible
> * Xen.git:INSTALL may be a good candidate which could live in the admin guide
> and/or developer guide
> * Xen.git:CODING_STYLE and Xen.git:tools/libxl/CODING_STYLE - Note that in
> the community call discussion Jan raised the point that we tend to not
> document precedents for many things which are coding style related. Maybe we
> can get a bit better
> * Xen.git:MAINTAINERS should stay as it is, but should probably be referred
> to appropriately in the docset
>
> Content from the wiki (the idea would be to redirect those pages in the wiki
> to the new locations)
> * https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Asking_Developer_Questions - could do with
> a refresh. Possibly there is also a tie in with
> https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2019-06/msg01518.html
> * https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source - there seems to
> be some overlap with Xen.git/INSTALL which may be worth cleaning up
> * https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_Project_Repositories
> [...]

I think we all agree by now that maintaining up-to-date docs on the wiki
and keeping them in sync with code changes is hard. I see moving things
from the wiki to xen.git as a great improvement. We have a few Xen on
ARM docs that are worth importing from the wiki:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions

And all the board specific docs linked from it, such as:

https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/qemu-system-aarch64
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_ARM_with_Virtualization_Extensions/FastModels
https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/HiKey960

etc.