Re: [Xen-devel] Criteria / validation proposal: drop Xen

I am in favor of removing the Xen blocking criteria as it has not received the testing it needs and has been a source of conflict for several releases in the past.

Geoff Marr
IRC: coremodule

On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 10:12 AM Adam Williamson <adamwill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > This is only practical if it's going to be tested, and tested regularly
> > > - not *only* on the final release candidate, right before we sign off
> > > on the release. It needs to be tested regularly throughout the release
> > > cycle, on the composes that are "nominated for testing".
> >
> > Would the proposal above work for you? I think it satisfies what you are
> > looking for. We would also have someone who monitors these test results
> > pro-actively.
>
> In theory, yeah, but given the history here I'm somewhat sceptical. I'd
> also say we still haven't really got a convincing case for why we
> should continue to block the release (at least in theory) on Fedora
> working in Xen when we don't block on any other virt stack apart from
> our 'official' one, and we don't block on all sorts of other stuff we'd
> "like to have working" either. Regardless of the testing issues, I'd
> like to see that too if we're going to keep blocking on Xen...

So, this died here. As things stand: I proposed removing the Xen
criterion, Lars opposed, we discussed the testing situation a bit, and
I said overall I'm still inclined to remove the criterion because
there's no clear justification for it for Fedora any more. Xen working
(or rather, Fedora working on Xen) is just not a key requirement for
Fedora at present, AFAICS.

It's worth noting that at least part of the justification for the
criterion in the first place was that Amazon was using Xen for EC2, but
that is no longer the case, most if not all EC2 instance types no
longer use Xen. Another consideration is that there was a time when KVM
was still pretty new stuff and VirtualBox was not as popular as it is
now, and Xen was still widely used for general hobbyist virtualization
purposes; I don't believe that's really the case any more.

So...with thanks to Lars / Xen Project for their input, I'm afraid I'm
still in favor of this proposal, and still think we should drop the Xen
criterion for F31. This wouldn't mean Xen is out of Fedora and we don't
care about it any more, or anything like that; it would still be a part
of Fedora and we still would like Xen to work on Fedora and Fedora to
work on Xen, just like any other non-release-blocking package. It just
means we would no longer block releases if it does not work.

Anyone have further thoughts on this? Xen folks, do you object to this
really strenuously? If so I guess we could take this to a higher/wider
level for more input.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey