Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] xen: Add .astylerc for automated style-formatting

On Jul 19, 2019, at 09:31, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 19/07/2019 14:24, Julien Grall wrote:
>> Hi Tamas,

>>> If there are better tools then sure, I don't really mind using
>>> something else. I just don't have time to do the manual style check
>>> back-and-forth anymore, so the sooner we have something in place the
>>> better.
>> I totally agree we need a tool so the reviewer can free-up some time to
>> focus on more important things. However, I think we should be careful on
>> what we adopt here.
>> Similar to Andrew, I am open with modifying the coding style to help the
>> automatic style check. But I am not happy to disable automatic style on part
>> (or entire) of files forever.
>> At the moment, clang-format feels more powerful and there are people working
>> on it.
>
> FYI, below a link to the clang-format changes:
>
> https://github.com/xen-troops/Xen-Clang-format/blob/devel/clang-format.patch

Were these clang-format changes done for FuSa work?  Are they intended to be
run within OSStest and/or Xen's Gitlab CI, which do not currently support
OpenEmbedded/Yocto and xen-troops?

It would be helpful to have a xen-devel thread on the motivation for the
clang-format work, the specific style being enforced (including the nuances
discussed in this thread) and additional work needed before clang-format can
perform automated style checking to address (a) existing Xen/Linux style
requirements, (b) FuSa requirements.

Rich