From: Fredy P. <fredy.pulido@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Roger Pau Monné <roger.pau@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-devel] CPU frequency throttling based on the
temperature
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 11:00:51 -0400

Hello, answering between lines
On Wed, 2019-07-24 at 16:36 +0200, Roger Pau Monné wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 10:01:40AM -0400, Fredy P. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > My objective is to get CPU frequency throttling based on the
> > temperature in a Xen/OpenWRT(dom0) system.
> >
> > After to expend hours reading Xen's wiki, mailing list archives,
> > commits, googling and asking in the IRC channel I'm coming here
> > asking
> > for help because I hope there is something I miss and you could
> > point
> > it.
> That seems like an interesting project, I guess your focus is some
> kind of low-power device? (not that it matters much for the context
> of
> the question).
Is a X86 server for aircrafts, we have it running Linux and will add
Xen to have a VM running inside, is a kind of big embedded system.

> Anyway, thanks for your interest on Xen and ways to improve it!
>
> > My first question is, there is any way to do CPU frequency
> > throttling
> > based on the temperature?
>
> I don't think there's such governor ATM implemented in Xen, the more
> that I think all frequency throttling is supposed to be done by dom0
> using xenpm, but not Xen itself?

Yes that is clear for us but to do active thermal throttling need to be
capable to read the CPU temperature.

> > If the answer for first question is not, then there is any way to
> > get
> > the CPU temperature from Dom0? (this way we could use Intel's
> > thermald
> > and modify it to use xenpm to change the cpufreq).
>
> What hardware interface does thermald (or the driver in Linux if
> there's one) use to get the temperature data?

That is the main problem, in a POC we did years ago for our client
using Xen 4.8.x we took it from /sys/class/hwmon but that was not
accurate and Xen removes it on 4.9.x. this is the question I'm doing
here.

> Is it exposed in a mmio region somewhere? Or maybe exposed as a pci
> device?
>
> > If one and two are not, do you think that the right path is to
> > modify
> >  linux/drivers/xen/xen-acpi-processor.c or you have any other
> > ideas?
>
> I think it depends on how this data is exposed by the hardware.

Is a Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5350U CPU @ 1.80GHz processor, when you say
the hardware is the board itself? or the processor?