Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] xen: Add .astylerc for automated style-formatting

On 26/07/2019, 16:12, "Julien Grall" <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hi Viktor,

    On 26/07/2019 15:58, Viktor Mitin wrote:
    > On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 11:37 AM Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx>
wrote:

    >> Hi Tamas,

    >>> According to CODING_STYLE that's not how it should be.
    >>
    >> I guess you refer to the section "Bracing". If so, I think we don't
follow the
    >> CODING_STYLE for struct or definition.
    >>
    >> I have to admit that for this case, I always have to look at other usage
in the
    >> code because I tend to put the { on a newline.
    >>
    >> I was going to say that there may be some cases where it makes sense to
keep {
    >> on the same line. For instance:
    >>
    >>      { a, b, c, d },
    >>      { e, f, g, h },
    >>

    > All the rules should be stated in CODING_STYLE explicitly.
    > In other cases, it cannot be automated with future proves why it works
    > this or that way.

    This is not very constructive to send on multiple different threads "this
should
    be explicitly be in the CODING_STYLE". Most of the people in CC are aware
this
    is an issue.

    But the problem here is codifying those styles. This often results in a lot
of
    discussions because a lot is a matter of taste. In other there are no
answers to
    the patches.

    What we need is someone to drive this effort and make sure we make some
progress.

    Also, trying to codify all the unwritten styles is probably going to be
    difficult. Instead, I would suggest to start from an existing coding style
that
    is very close to Xen (maybe BSD?).

OK. Maybe this is something I should drive, if there is in fact some sort of
agreement that this makes sense.

I agree that codifying the styles is problematic, as it encourages bike
shedding. Maybe this is something
where we could try something vote based, aka make a list of codified rules.
Have everyone vote in the usual
way of -2 ... +2 on it.

Also, we can't implement checking tools, if the styles are not documented.
Checking tools should free up
reviewer time.

Lars