Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] Generating Go bindings for libxl

On Tue, Jul 30, 2019 at 7:32 AM Nicholas Rosbrook
<rosbrookn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As a follow up to the presentation that Brendan Kerrigan and I gave at Xen
> summit earlier this month, "Client Virtualization Toolstack in Go", I would
> like to open
> a discussion around the development of Go bindings for libxl. George Dunlap,
> Nicolas Belouin and I have had some discussion off-line already.
>
> So far, these are the topics of discussion:

Hi Nicholas,
to add to the list of topics I just want to mention that perhaps it
may be beneficial to consider parts of the go bindings not go to libxl
at all. I have been digging through libxl for the past couple months
and it's asynchronous callback system is damn near impossible to
follow and I just can't shake the feeling that it would be a lot
easier to follow if it was in go. Not to mention the performance
issues with the built-in garbage collector and fork/exec parts. I'm
also interested only in a very small subset of what libxl does today
but I want to be able to that as fast as possible - domain creation -
which has many steps that could be done in parallel to speed it up..
and that would just be a natural thing to do in go.

Tamas