Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC] xen: Add .astylerc for automated style-formatting

Hi Jan,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 4:21 PM Jan Beulich <JBeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Certainly not, afaia. I will object to any written down rule disallowing
> >> leading blank(s) altogether. I will argue for making mandatory at least
> >> one blank of indentation.
> >
> > Coding style are a matter of taste. If everyone is going to say "I want
> > this in the coding style", then we are going to spend countless of hours
> > bike-shedding. This is not how we should use our already limited time.
>
> I agree with what you say in general, but not in this specific case: I've
> explained why the leading blank(s) are wanted here. This is not because of
> my taste, but because of helping with patch review.

I've checked all the styles supported by clang-format at the moment:
LLVM, Google, Chromium, Mozilla, WebKit, Microsoft. None of them uses
spaces before labels. It seems Linux coding style does not use it as
well. Please see the questions below:

How all those projects live without this issue?
What is the reason not to fix 'diff -p'? Is it not possible at all?
Could you please share more details about the background of the issue
and examples?

Thanks