Re: [Xen-devel] [RFC 1/6] xen/arm: Re-enable interrupt later in the trap path

On Thu, 2019-08-01 at 09:45 +0300, Andrii Anisov wrote:
> Hello Julien,
>
> On 30.07.19 23:10, Julien Grall wrote:
>
> > > In this series I think I need interrupts locked until I start
> > > time accounting for hypervisor. Time accounting is started by
> > > `tacc_head()` function. I prefer to have it called from C,
> > > because it is more convenient and obvious for those who are less
> > > familiar with the ARM code.
>
> Here is the question to you: what is the best place (and way) to
> start hypervisor time tracking?

This is actually quite an important question... And I'd like to throw
it back at you (Andrii)! :-D :-P :-)

In fact, I was about to ask myself something similar, such as, can we
take a bit of a step back and define:

- what's the, let's say, accounting granularity we want? "Just" guest
and hypervisor? Or more fine grained?

- assuming we "just" want hypervisor and guest, which are the
events/turning points at which we should switch "timing accounting
bucket"? Can we make a list?

And I'd be fine for such list to be generic, in the first place (e.g.,
hypercall, IRQ, etc)... Then we'll turn the entries into actual
locations in the code, as a second step.

Regards
--
Dario Faggioli, Ph.D
http://about.me/dario.faggioli