[Xen-devel] More questions about Xen memory layout/usage, access to guest memory

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Johnson, Ethan" <ejohns48@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2019 19:51:33 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Arc-authentication-results: i=1; mx.microsoft.com 1; spf=pass smtp.mailfrom=cs.rochester.edu; dmarc=pass action=none header.from=cs.rochester.edu; dkim=pass header.d=cs.rochester.edu; arc=none
  • Arc-message-signature: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=microsoft.com; s=arcselector9901; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version:X-MS-Exchange-SenderADCheck; bh=0KsxQaqHV9NnifNU/b4XAwdcqnaWFY46RHPI/WhkYVE=; b=Tyra+5Y8z775GZ4CDL5C32byQz9dqBLRFg1amEC3dG3K+OX4rb7Xncj//wipnbiwbhxztZh+FpU/vtfS3s61H6eSr4VkpTSMAnI0JG1gKvfWm9U3OnZLyNUMvSjrDHiHGeGmarvSzLB1CWXqgzgNq02I7hQ8XjCleX8gTyqAjK0wjtgbH3Q3CiPYUe5Y1cGv1afh+mDyTfRdMbCqdFk1XJMhIb88NY896XSuwoPknN2RJ3qBpVm8Loo+hkbvhOdgDDfKOABSG8llUdBiWsD4i7f1tafRo01A94VF5O+MJvAKscl3SkB5yzQG+sdmSvanMAKyj5XqyCsPkwrM6am9Ag==
  • Arc-seal: i=1; a=rsa-sha256; s=arcselector9901; d=microsoft.com; cv=none; b=iEPMz5BZiZIFOfKFvUNKFsb8zVcM2w2m3ubefJHXD4ffkfE+4+CRMLraYjqlgWg14bt1lIBaYQisF/JY5AXtFrPPZgQKJ85M0PfQL11CFNTb5eCWok0TUVt7/IANfawFNixyVZhfrdTAKU21jSnmh66poygV+I1/kk0B1KaEMMsgq0H+mVpBWt8/CQS6rQ9rmFfP31R+Sr2yYfzTfMGni/5Rg+xZpE1l4wEcYgEHDm8uup6a8xNJ6MqxYvozxZmG8/P8bnk5bTzeK1Y3CQp0D+pQInR51sF3E53WDD5Xz4Av0MPMnyhAnmeggvAXWnXsxi7QKS9Upr0KLOmw9xmZUw==

Hi all,

I have some follow-up questions about Xen's usage and layout of memory,
building on the ones I asked here a few weeks ago (which were quite
helpfully answered: see
https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2019-07/msg01513.html
for reference). For context on why I'm asking these questions, I'm using
Xen as a research platform for enforcing novel memory protection schemes
on hypervisors and guests.

1. Xen itself lives in the memory region from (on x86-64) 0xffff 8000
0000 0000 - 0xffff 8777 ffff ffff, regardless of whether it's in PV mode
or HVM/PVH. Clearly, in PV mode a separate set of page tables (i.e. CR3
root pointer) must be used for each guest. Is that also true of the host
(non-extended, i.e. CR3 in VMX root mode) page tables when an HVM/PVH
guest is running? Or is the dom0 page table left in place, assuming the
dom0 is PV, when an HVM/PVH guest is running, since extended paging is
now being used to provide the guest's view of memory? Does this change
if the dom0 is PVH?

Or, to ask this from another angle: is there ever anything *but* Xen
living in the host-virtual address space when an HVM/PVH guest is
active? And is the answer to this different depending on whether the
HVM/PVH guest is a domU vs. a PVH dom0?

2. Do the mappings in Xen's slice of the host-virtual address space
differ at all between the host page tables corresponding to different
guests? If the mappings are in fact the same, does Xen therefore share
lower-level page table pages between the page tables corresponding to
different guests? Is any of this different for PV vs. HVM/PVH?

3. Under what circumstances, and for what purposes, does Xen use its
ability to access guest memory through its direct map of host-physical
memory? Similarly, to what extent does the dom0 (or other such
privileged domain) utilize "foreign memory maps" to reach into another
guest's memory? I understand that this is necessary when creating a
guest, for live migration, and for QEMU to emulate stuff for HVM guests;
but for PVH, is it ever necessary for Xen or the dom0 to "forcibly"
access a guest's memory?

(I ask because the research project I'm working on is seeking to protect
guests from a compromised hypervisor and dom0, so I need to limit
outside access to a guest's memory to explicitly shared pages that the
guest will treat as untrusted - not storing any secrets there, vetting
input as necessary, etc.)

4. What facilities/processes does Xen provide for PV(H) guests to
explicitly/voluntarily share memory pages with Xen and other domains
(dom0, etc.)? From what I can gather from the documentation, it sounds
like "grant tables" are involved in this - is that how a PV-aware guest
is expected to set up shared memory regions for communication with other
domains (ring buffers, etc.)? Does a PV(H) guest need to voluntarily
establish all external access to its pages, or is there ever a situation
where it's the other way around - where Xen itself establishes/defines a
region as shared and the guest is responsible for treating it accordingly?

Again, this mostly boils down to: under what circumstances, if ever,
does Xen ever "force" access to any part of a guest's memory?
(Particularly for PV(H). Clearly that must happen for HVM since, by
definition, the guest is unaware there's a hypervisor controlling its
world and emulating hardware behavior, and thus is in no position to
cooperatively/voluntarily give the hypervisor and dom0 access to its
memory.)

Thanks again in advance for any help anyone can offer!

Sincerely,
Ethan Johnson

--
Ethan J. Johnson
Computer Science PhD student, Systems group, University of Rochester