Re: [Xen-devel] [livepatch: independ. modules v2 2/3] livepatch: Allow to override inter-modules buildid dependency

Hi,

On 20/08/2019 15:09, Wieczorkiewicz, Pawel wrote:

On 20. Aug 2019, at 15:35, Julien Grall <julien.grall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

Something looks fishy in the threading:

  - The patch #1 is answered in reply-to the patch #1 of version 1.
  - This patch (#2) is answered in reply-to the patch #2 of version 1.
  - The patch #3 is labeled as v3 an in reply-to the patch #3 of version 1.

If you send them as series, then they should be sent together for a new version
and in a new thread. Not mangled to the previous thread as this makes quite
difficult to follow what's going on.

Also it looks like the series is still lacking of the cover letter. So I still have no
clue what "livepatch: independ. modules" in your [...] refers to.

Yeah, since I got feedback and reviews on various patches that I have already
submitted the way I did,
I simply continue with what I have until all comments are addressed (I do not
want to lose anything).

What do you mean by "all comments are addressed"? Usually you gather a set of comments for a series, address them and then resend the series with all of them addressed.

Then, I will re-send the patches in 2 series: livepatch-build-tools and xen
with all changes,
Reviewed-by/Acked-by and cover letters. This is the way recommended by Andrew.

Please don't send the patch one by one to check if everyone is happy. Just resend all of them in one go once you gathered enough feedback.

Unfortunately, it will be also quite confusing I think, because various changes
belonging to different topics,
are distributed between those 2 distinct repos.

That also happen when you have multiple patches in a series. Feature implemented accross multiple patch needs a place to discuss. This can usually be done in the cover letter. For multi repo series, you can steer the discussion on a single repo and just replicate the changes in the other one once there are an agreement.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall