Re: [Xen-devel] Reset pass-thru devices in a VM

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 12:17:28AM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
>Hi Chao,
>
>On Fri, Aug 09, 2019 at 04:38:33PM +0800, Chao Gao wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have a device which only supports secondary bus reset. After being
>> assigned to a VM, it would be placed under host bridge. For devices
>> under host bridge, secondary bus reset is not applicable. Thus, a VM
>> has no way to reset this device.
>>
>> This device's usage would be limited without PCI reset (for example, its
>> driver cannot re-initialize the device properly without PCI reset, which
>> means in VM device won't be usable after unloading the driver), it would
>> be much better if there is a way available to VMs to reset the device.
>>
>> In my mind, a straightfoward solution is to create a virtual bridge
>> for a VM and place the pass-thru device under a virtual bridge. But it
>> isn't supported in Xen (KVM/QEMU supports) and enabling it looks need
>> a lot of efforts. Alternatively, emulating FLR (Function Level Reset)
>> capability for this device might be a feasible way and only needs
>> relatively few changes. I am planning to enable an opt-in feature
>> (like 'permissive') to allow qemu to expose FLR capability to guest for
>> pass-thru devices as long as this device is resetable on dom0 (i.e. the
>> device has 'reset' attribute under its sysfs). And when guest initiates
>> an FLR, qemu just echo 1 to the 'reset' attribute on dom0.
>>
>> Do you think emulating FLR capability is doable?
>>

>I wonder if these patches from another thread help with your reset issue:
>
>https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2019-08/msg02304.html

Thanks for your attention.

The link you provides seems about how host resets a device. Emulating FLR
capability is to expose FLR capability to guest such that guest can
reset assigned devices. Definitely, qemu would intercept guest's
initiating an FLR and redirect it into a device reset on host.

Thanks
Chao