Re: [Xen-devel] Question about xenpage_list

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 11:16 AM Andrew Cooper
<andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 28/08/2019 18:07, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 10:55 AM Andrew Cooper
> > <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> share_xen_page_with_guest() is perhaps poorly named.  It makes the page
> >> able to be inserted into the guests p2m.
> >>
> >> It is internal accounting, so that the permission checks in a subsequent
> >> add_to_physmap() call will pass.
> >>
> >> Perhaps it should be named "allow_guest_access_to_frame()" or similar.

> >> On domain creation, the toolstack needs to write the store/console grant
> >> entry.
> >>
> >> If XENMEM_acquire_resource is available and usable (needs newish Xen and
> >> dom0 kernel), then that method is preferred.  This lets the toolstack
> >> map the grant table frame directly, without inserting it into the guests
> >> p2m first.
> >>
> >> The fallback path is to pick a free pfn, insert it into the guest
> >> physmap, foreign map it, write the entries, unmap and remove from the
> >> guest physmap.  This has various poor properties like shattering
> >> superpages for the guest, and a general inability to function correctly
> >> once the guest has started executing and has a balloon driver in place.
> >>
> >> At a later point, once the guest starts executing, a grant-table aware
> >> part of the kernel ought to map the grant table at the kernels preferred
> >> location and keep it there permanently.
> >>
> > OK, makes sense, but when the guest is being restored from a savefile,
> > how does it know that it needs to do that mapping again? That frame is
> > being re-created during restoration, so when the guest starts to
> > execute again it would just have a whole where that page used to be.
>
> This is where we get to the problems of Xen's "migration" not being
> transparent.  Currently it is the requirement of the guest kernel to
> remap the grant table on resume.
>
> This is a reasonable requirement for PV guests.  Because PV guest
> kernels maintain their own P2M, it is impossible to migrate transparently.
>
> This should never have made it into the HVM ABI, but it did and we're a
> decade too late, and only just starting to pick up the pieces.
>
> I presume you're doing some paging work here, and are logically
> restoring a guest without its knowledge?

Correct, I'm creating a VM by populating its physmap with mem_shared
entries from another domain that's paused by looping through all pages
and memsharing them. Pages that are not sharable I manually allocate
new pages for and copy them over (or simply plug the GFN in with
INVALID_MFN if the type is such that it allows that). Currently this
works fine when the domain I'm populating from was just restored from
a savefile, including launching the toolstack for the new domain and
interacting with its VNC/network/etc. But I'm running into trouble
when the domain I'm copying from was unpaused before this sharing is
taking place. Evidently unpausing the domain introduces discrepancies
in its memory space as compared to when its just restored and this
grant mapping is one page that pops up as being mapped in but it's
unsharable since it's a PGC_xen_heap page. The new domain does have
the page allocated already but it doesn't have a GFN yet, so I can't
copy its content over since I have no way to ensure that MFN will be
used for the same GFN. There are other pages that also pop up as now
not being shared, but seems like running a domain_soft_reset on the
domain makes them go away (resetting event channels in particular). So
anyway, I'm having a hard time figuring out what changes are made to
the domain after it is unpaused, as I need to revert them all to make
the domain be in the same state it would be when restored from the
savefile.

Tamas