Re: [Xen-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Call for agenda items for September 5th Community Call @ 15:00 UTC

On 05/09/2019, 09:33, "Juergen Gross" <jgross@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

    On 05.09.19 10:14, Andrew Cooper wrote:
    > On 05/09/2019 08:49, Lars Kurth wrote:
    >> On 05/09/2019, 08:41, "Rich Persaud" <persaur@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >>
    >>      > On Sep 5, 2019, at 03:19, Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
    >>      >
    >>      > Forgive me asking, but why is this put up as an agenda item here?
    >>      > IMO this is the kind of thing where you would send a proposal and
    >>      > request feedback by email first, and put it up as an agenda item
    >>      > here only if it got stalled there. (Apologies if I've overlooked
    >>      > such a stalled thread.)
    >>
    >>      If Xen community call topics are limited to escalations of
xen-devel threads, then a new thread can be created for this topic. Xen
community calls have also provided real-time, interactive feedback on candidate
proposals, along with guidance on areas which need documentation before a
formal proposal is made to xen-devel.   Such agenda items are typically covered
after all series and priority topics have been addressed.

    >> I don't mind having items such these on the agenda and to be fair have
added similar items onto the agenda in the past.
    >> Clearly, they are forward looking [like an RFC], for which reason I tend
to add them to the end of an agenda if there is a busy schedule

    >> Personally, on this specific item, it is not really clear what the
questions are.  In other words: is this about UUIDS/domain ids only, or is
there something else.

    > Requiring something to be blocked on xen-devel before we discuss it on
    > the call is monumentally short sighted, and off-putting for contributors.
    >
    > In this case, it is very definitely not the first time this problem has
    > been raised, as it is an XSA shaped elephant in the room.  Its no secret
    > that id wraps cause problems, and while our security policy doesn't
    > comment on the matter, it also doesn't say "warning - stuff *will* break
    > in weird, wonderful, and security-relevant ways when domid's wrap".
    >
    > The order of the agenda is important, and I don't think this should be
    > at the top, but even if we only end up with 2 minutes to discuss it,
    > then so be it.  (2 minutes of talking can still be far more valuable
    > than a weeks worth of emailing.)
    >
    > What is not acceptable is suggesting that it should be veto'd simply
    > because it is perceived to be a very fresh idea/query.

    I still think it would help if a short high level design would be posted
    on xen-devel first.

I think that is a valid point and I agree. In the past when we had similar
discussions often the outcome was not that clear and due to the nature of
the calls the discussions were also not well reflected in the notes.

So, there is an argument, that discussions typically are more productive when
there is the possibility for some preparation or an e-mail thread to refer to.

Lars