Re: [Xen-devel] Criteria for checking in core scheduling series

On 06/09/2019, 12:09, "George Dunlap" <george.dunlap@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    There was a discussion on the community call about the core scheduling
    series being developed by Juergen Gross [1].  The conclusion can be
    summarized as follows:

    * We normally wait to check in series until they are quite good -- all
    the i's dotted and all the t's crossed

    * This is for several reasons; primarily because once code gets checked
    in, it rarely gets looked at again.  In particular, there's nothing
    stopping the submitter from neglecting to do important clean-ups, in
    spite of their best intentions; leaving the maintainer or the rest of
    the community to do it.

    * However, for particularly long, complicated series like the core
    scheduling series, this can have significant downsides.  Rebasing a
    60-patch branch regularly is a lot of churn for little value; and core
    parts of the series which are mostly complete are currently only getting
    sporadic dev testing rather than the wide range of testing they would
    get from being in staging.

    * XenServer and SuSE are both long-term community members with a strong
    incentive to maintain and improve the feature; so the risk of the
    feature being left for the community to maintian is relatively now.

    With all those things in mind, the conclusion was to lower the
    "check-in" threshold from what it normally is, in order to allow the
    series to be checked in in the near future, in enough time at least for
    the "default off" to be well-tested by the 4.13 release.

    The criteria we sketched out were:

    * All the patches still need appropriate Ack / R-b's

    * There should be reason to believe that the series will have little to
    no impact on "thread mode" (threads being the unit of scheduling; i.e.,
    the status quo)

    WRT the second point, apparently XenServer have been testing the series
    regularly for some time, and are satisfied from a testing perspective
    that there is no significant degradation for the series when in "thread
    mode".

    So this would really be a recommendation / license to the various
    maintainers involved; primarily Dario, I think (since I probably won't
    have time to review the series).

    No decisions are official until discussed on xen-devel; so the decision
    will not be considered official until a few days have passed without
    objection.  And of course, if anyone at the meeting had a different
    understanding of what was said, or has something to add, please do so.

I believe the following people were on the community call and did NOT have
objections when asked
Sergey, Jan, Juergen, Andrew, George, Roger, Christopher Clark, Daniel P Smith,
Rich (list may be incomplete)

We are asking because key people have not been on the community call

Regards
Lars