Re: [Xen-devel] Errors with Loading Xen at a Certain Address

Hi,

On 03/10/2019 00:20, Brian Woods wrote:
On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 02:22:49PM -0700, Brian Woods wrote:
On Wed, Oct 02, 2019 at 08:59:28PM +0100, Julien Grall wrote:
Hi,

On 10/2/19 7:56 PM, Brian Woods wrote:

Hmmm, the first e-mail didn't land in my inbox directly (I have a filter
send to a separate directory any e-mail I not CCed on). Did you BCC me by
any change?
That's odd.  I know I copied your and Stefano's email addresses from the
MAINTAINERS file but under my sent emails it shows it has having no
CCs...  PEBCAK I guess.  My apologies.

Let see try to troubleshoot it first :).

Well, any attachment you send on the ML will store to each subscribers
mailbox. I let you do the math here ;)

So yeah, pastebin is always the preferred way when you have to send the full
log.

Thank you for the log. So that's probably not a double-init then.

Looking back at the log, the values look quite sane. So I am not entirely
sure what is happening.

I would check that the frametable is correctly zeroed. You could add a print
at the end of setup_frametable_mappings(...) to dump the count_info for the
page. Something like:
      mfn_to_page(_mfn(0x01533))->count_info;

If it is correctly initialized, it should be zero.

The next step would be to add a similar print in start_xen()
(xen/arch/arm/setup.c) and see where the value is not 0 anymore.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall

I'll go ahead add those and see if that leads to anything.

--
Brian Woods

Ok, I added:
        printk("BW_DEBUG: 01 count_info=0x%016lx\n",
            mfn_to_page(_mfn(0x01533))->count_info);
In some places.  I'm not sure about some of the earlier ones (the ones
before the UART is set up),  but all of the ones afterwards that
actually get output are:
        BW_DEBUG: 11 count_info=0x0180000000000000

Is it worth trying to figure out where the printk buffer is and reading
it really early on?

If you haven't enable EARLY_PRINTK in Xen, then you may want to do it. This would help you to understand where the page->count_info is not zeroed.

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall