Re: [Xen-devel] wall clock drift on Coffee Lake / C24x mainboard (HPET broken?), best practices

On 14.11.2019 12:29, Jan Beulich wrote:
On 14.11.2019 00:10, Andreas Kinzler wrote:
I came across the following: https://lkml.org/lkml/2019/8/29/536
Could that be the reason for the problem mentioned below? Xen is using
HPET as clocksource on the platform/mainboard. Is there an (easy) way to
verify if Xen uses PC10?
In principle this can be obtained via both the xenpm utility and
the 'c' debug key.

Both xenpm and 'c' debug key show only up to level 7 in Xen 4.10.x (unmodified code).

For Coffee Lake, however, I can't find any
indication in the SDM that a PC10 residency MSR would exist.

I used turbostat (https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/tools/power/x86/turbostat/turbostat.c) as a help. See functions has_c8910_msrs and intel_model_duplicates.

I then added Coffee Lake with PC8/9/10 to do_get_hw_residencies and then I got high counts in PC8+PC9 and zero in PC10.

Hence I can only suggest that you try again with limited or no
use of C states, to at least get a hint as to a possible

I changed the BIOS setting to a limit of PC7 and it is now running. I have to wait for the result. Thanks.

Regards Andreas