Re: [Xen-devel] [TESTDAY] Test report

On 15.11.19 16:19, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 4:56 AM Andrew Cooper <andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 14/11/2019 22:36, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 11:39 AM Andrew Cooper
<andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 14/11/2019 18:34, Tamas K Lengyel wrote:
* Comments: All works, altp2m+introspection requires the ept=pml=0
boot flag specified to workaround a deadlock in Xen
Is this separate from the general problem with EPT A/D and
write-protecting pagetables?

It sounds like it is, it happens without write-protecting in-guest
pagetables. I didn't have time to investigate where the deadlock
happens and since the workaround is fine for the usecase it wasn't a
priority to figure out.

Thinking about it, PML will do the wrong thing (deadlocks aside) as soon
as any altp2m gfn translations are used.

I'd be tempted to work around the deadlock by disabling pml the moment
altp2m is touched.  That would give a sightly less bad user experience,
and should be easy to sort for 4.13.

Thoughts, (inc. Juergen as RM) ?

That sounds like a good idea to me, that way you can keep pml for
guests where it doesn't cause an issue instead of disabling it system
wide.

Sounds like decent way to handle it.

Juergen