Re: [Xen-devel] Likely regression in efi=no-rs option

On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 09:24:38PM -0800, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Hi!
>
> as I've reported earlier -- part of my testing of Xen 4.13 RC2 failed
> in a massive way with Dom0 never coming up. I've traced that problem
> to the option that we're using to boot Xen:
>     efi=no-rs
> We've been using this option for quite sometime and Xen 4.13 RC2
> is the first one that seems to make Dom0 boot fail with this option
> present (note that RC1 was fine).
>
> I was wondering whether there were any changes in the areas related
> to UEFI in Xen that may have triggered this.
>
> Here's the boot line that works with RC2:
>     dom0_mem=1024M,max:1024M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin smt=false
> adding efi=no-rs make Dom0 boot process fail:
>     efi=no-rs dom0_mem=1024M,max:1024M dom0_max_vcpus=1 dom0_vcpus_pin
> smt=false

As Rich already said, there was indeed some related changes, that should
make efi=no-rs not needed as an workaround on many machines.
But also it looks like the "efi: use directmap to access runtime
services table" commit broke efi=no-rs case. I'll send the fix shortly.

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki