[Xen-devel] grant table size

  • To: "xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Durrant, Paul" <pdurrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 09:43:59 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Nov 2019 09:44:21 +0000
  • Ironport-sdr: 5VmkMSrmPOFd7a2dVXdSynF982ZLBG7W4CAhFJnTmKTgcBTekMBfekW8fxMIJG6/38th5tuWZx OyLOJ2DDbIWg==

I've dealt with a few problems over the years where the root cause was a guest
running out of grant table and so I'm wondering whether it would be a good idea
to allow a toolstack to increase the table size of a running guest, e.g. when
plugging in a new PV interface.
It would appear that current Linux guests would not be able to make use of this
as it stands (but that could be fixed), but as far as I can tell a pvops kernel
would not misbehave if the maximum table size were to increase. Similarly
Windows PV drivers would need modification to make use of a dynamic maximum
table size but would not misbehave as is.
Does anyone have any objection to the idea?

  Paul