Re: [Xen-devel] Xen 4.14 and future work

On Mon, 2019-12-02 at 19:51 +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:

> Other areas in need of work is the boot time directmap at 0 (which
> hides
> NULL pointer deferences during boot), and the correct handling of
> %dr6
> for all kinds of guests.

Sorry for the late reply to this thread. Talking about the directmap,
will we have time and engineering power to look at the direct map
removal series? I have been maintaining, testing and benchmarking it
since late 4.13 and it would be nice to have (part of) it in 4.14.

The bulk of the series is moving things from xenheap to domheap site by
site, which should not be difficult to review. The direct map is only
removed at the final stage of the series, so before that comes in,
domheap is still mapped via the direct map and there will not even be
performance differences. I am thinking that we could at least merge
most of the transitions to domheap in 4.14.

Hongyan