Re: [Xen-devel] Xen fails to resume on AMD Fam15h (and Fam17h?) because of CPUID mismatch

February 11, 2020 9:09 PM, "Marek Marczykowski-Górecki"
<marmarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 12:59:22PM +0000, Claudia wrote:
>
>> February 10, 2020 12:14 PM, "Marek Marczykowski-Górecki"
>> <marmarek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 11:17:34AM +0000, Andrew Cooper wrote:
>>
>> On 10/02/2020 08:55, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> On 10.02.2020 00:06, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Multiple Qubes users have reported issues with resuming from S3 on AMD
>> systems (Ryzen 2500U, Ryzen Pro 3700U, maybe more). The error message
>> is:
>>
>> (XEN) CPU0: cap[ 1] is 7ed8320b (expected f6d8320b)
>>
>> If I read it right, this is:
>> - OSXSAVE: 0 -> 1
>> - HYPERVISOR: 1 -> 0
>>
>> Commenting out the panic on a failed recheck_cpu_features() in power.c
>> makes the system work after resume, reportedly stable. But that doesn't
>> sounds like a good idea generally.
>>
>> Is this difference a Xen fault (some missing MSR / other register
>> restore on resume)? Or BIOS vendor / AMD, that could be worked around in
>> Xen?
>> The transition of the HYPERVISOR bit is definitely a Xen issue,
>> with Andrew having sent a patch already (iirc).
>>
>> https://lore.kernel.org/xen-devel/20200127202121.2961-1-andrew.cooper3@xxxxxxxxxx
>>
>> Code is correct. Commit message needs rework, including in light of
>> this discovery. (I may eventually split it into two patches.)
>>
>> Claudia, do you want to test with this patch?
>>
>> I'm getting hunk failed in domctl.c applying to R4.1 default repo (fc31, Xen
>> 4.13). I'll see if I
>> can fix it but bear with me, I'm new at this.
>>
>> Marek: Would you by any chance be willing to merge this into a test branch
>> on your repo, so the
>> rest of us can pull it directly into qubes-builder? It'll take you a
>> fraction of the time it'll
>> take me, plus then zachm and awokd and anyone else can pull it also.
>
> Here is one for Xen 4.13:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-vmm-xen/pull/71
> builder.conf snippet for qubes-builder:
>
> BRANCH_vmm_xen=xen-4.13-amd-suspend
> GIT_URL_vmm_xen=https://github.com/marmarek/qubes-vmm-xen
>
> This is already v2 patch from the other thread.

Thanks! For anyone else trying this, I also had to add NO_CHECK=vmm-xen
vmm-xen-stubdom-legacy, I guess because there are no tags on that branch. The
RPMs built successfully, and I'll be able to test them as soon as I get the
latest R4.1 build downloaded and installed (I'm currently running 4.0).