Re: Live migration and PV device handling

Hi Andrew,

On 4/3/20 5:42 AM, Andrew Cooper wrote:
> On 03/04/2020 13:32, Anastassios Nanos wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am trying to understand how live-migration happens in xen. I am
>> looking in the HVM guest case and I have dug into the relevant parts
>> of the toolstack and the hypervisor regarding memory, vCPU context
>> etc.
>>
>> In particular, I am interested in how PV device migration happens. I
>> assume that the guest is not aware of any suspend/resume operations
>> being done
>
> Sadly, this assumption is not correct.  HVM guests with PV drivers
> currently have to be aware in exactly the same way as PV guests.
>
> Work is in progress to try and address this.  See
> https://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=commitdiff;h=775a02452ddf3a6889690de90b1a94eb29c3c732
> (sorry - for some reason that doc isn't being rendered properly in
> https://xenbits.xen.org/docs/ )

I read below from the commit:

+* The toolstack choose a randomized domid for initial creation or default
+migration, but preserve the source domid non-cooperative migration.
+Non-Cooperative migration will have to be denied if the domid is
+unavailable on the target host, but randomization of domid on creation
+should hopefully minimize the likelihood of this. Non-Cooperative migration
+to localhost will clearly not be possible.

Does that indicate while scope of domid_t is shared by a single server in old
design, the scope of domid_t is shared by a cluster of server in new design?

That is, the domid should be unique in the cluster of all servers if we expect
non-cooperative migration always succeed?

Thank you very much!

Dongli Zhang