Re: Question...

Hi,

On 01/05/2020 10:52, Bertrand Marquis wrote:
Hi Samuel,

On 1 May 2020, at 06:59, Samuel P. Felton - GPT LLC
<sam.felton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So, I’m trying to get a Xen Dom0 and DomU, both running Ubuntu 20.04 LTS up on our brand-new
Gigabyte ThunderX2 ARM64 box. I can get Ubuntu up and running, but after installing the Xen bits, it dies
after the UEFI layer launches GRUB. I haven’t been able to get any logfiles because it
doesn’t get that far. Nothing shows up on the serial port log either – it just hangs.

IIUC what you wrote, you don't see any prompt from GRUB. Am I correct?

Has anyone over there been trying to get a similar setup running? Am I out to lunch
for trying this, or is there something I’m missing? Any help at all would be
appreciated.

I am currently porting Xen on an N1SDP arm board which is also using a
EDK2/grub setup and I manage to start xen from grub and then start dom0
providing a DTB.

My grub configuration looks like this:
menuentry 'xen' {
     xen_hypervisor $prefix/xen.efi loglvl=all guest_loglvl=all console=dtuart
dtuart=serial0 dom0_mem=1G
     xen_module $prefix/Image console=hvc0 efi=noruntime rw root=/dev/sda1
rootwait
     devicetree $prefix/n1sdp.dtb
}

Depending on your GRUB configuration, this may not work. For older GRUB, you will want to use chainloading (see [1]).

I haven't used Thunder-X 2 yet, only the previous version. Both version are shipped with ACPI and is the preferred way to boot. You should be able to boot Xen using ACPI, but it is not yet in feature parity with DT.

So I would recommend to use DT if Thunder-X 2 provide one. If you still want to have a try with ACPI, then you will need to build Xen with CONFIG_ACPI=y.

Additionally, Thunder-X 2 is using GICv3 ITS. You will need to build Xen with CONFIG_GICV3_ITS=y.

Both options can only be selectable when using the expert mode. In order to access it you have to add XEN_CONFIG_EXPERT=y on *all* your make command line.

I hope this helps.

Could you share your grub configuration ?

Bertrand

If this doesn’t work, I’m going to have to go to FreeBSD and Bhyve because I know
someone who has that working. I’d rather use Linux than BSD for this application, there are
more drivers supporting this hardaware.

Thanks,
~Sam

[1] https://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Xen_EFI