Re: UEFI support in ARM DomUs

On 01/06/2020 05:11, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
Hi Julien!

Hi Roman,

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 3:24 PM Julien Grall <julien.grall.oss@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2020 at 23:05, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi!

with a lot of help from Stefano, we're getting RPi4 support in
Project EVE pretty much on par between KVM and Xen.

One big area that still remains is supporting UEFI boot sequence
for DomUs. With KVM, given the qemu virt device model this is
as simple as using either stock UEFI build for arm or even U-Boot
EFI emulation environment and passing it via -bios option.

Obviously with Xen on ARM we don't have the device model so
my understanding is that the easiest way we can support it would
be to port UEFI's OvmfPkg/OvmfXen target to ARM (it seems to
be currently exclusively X64).

EDK2 has been supporting Xen on Arm for the past 5 years. We don't use
OvmfPkg/OvmfXen but ArmVirtPkg/ArmVirtXen (see [1]).
I haven't tried to build it recently, but I should be able to help if
there is any issue with it.

Cheers,

[1] https://github.com/tianocore/edk2/blob/master/ArmVirtPkg/ArmVirtXen.fdf

This is really, really awesome -- I guess it would be really helpful to document
this someplace on the ARM/Xen wiki (I can volunteer if someone can grant
me the karma).

There used to be a page on the Linaro wiki when they did the port. But it looks like any Xen pages have been removed/relocated :(.

Anyway, a page on Xen Project wiki would definitely be appreciated.

I've built XEN_EFI.fd and the rest worked out like a charm.

Glad to hear that it worked :).

Cheers,

--
Julien Grall